Steven Bassnett, PhD
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
Office Phone: (314) 362-1604
Fax: (314) 362-3638
Click here for Dr. Bassnett lab website
- B.Sc. Marine Biology, School of Animal Sciences University College of North Wales, Bangor, UK, 1979-1982
- Ph.D. Biophysics, School of Biological Sciences University of East Anglia (UEA), UK, 1982 - 1987
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Biophysics, UEA (Laboratory of Dr. George Duncan), 1987
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD (Laboratory of Dr. David Beebe), 1987 - 1990
- Shi Y, Barton K, Petrash JM, Shiels A, Bassnett S. The stratified syncytium of the vertebrate lens. In review: Journal of Cell Biology 2008.
- De Maria A, Bassnett S. Spectrin proteolysis during lens fiber cell differentiation. For Submission to Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Bassnett S. On the mechanism of organelle degradation in the ocular lens and other tissues. In review: Experimental Eye Research 2008.
- Shi Y, Bassnett S. Inducible gene expression in the lens using tamoxifen and a GFP reporter. Experimental Eye Research 2007; 85:732-737.
- De Maria A, Bassnett S. DNAse IIb distribution and activity in the mouse lens. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences 2007; 48:5638-5646.
- Shiels A, King, JM, Mackay, DS, Bassnett S. Refractive defects and cataracts in mice lacking lens intrinsic membrane protein-2. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences 2007; 48:500-508.
- Luo X, Kymes S, Gordon M, Bassnett S. Lens fluorescence and accommodative amplitude in presbyopia and pre-presbyopic subjects. Experimental Eye Research 2007; 84:1013-17).
- Zandy AJ, Bassnett S. Proteolytic mechanisms underlying organelle degradation in the ocular lens. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences 2007; 48:293-302.
- Bassnett S. Three-dimensional reconstruction of cells in the living lens: The relationship between cell length and volume. Experimental Eye Research 2005; 81:716-23.
- Zandy AJ, Lakhani S, Zheng T, Flavell RA, Bassnett S. Role of executioner caspases during lens development. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2005; 280:30263-72.