Susan M. Culican, MD, PhD
Associate Professor, Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
Patients Seen At:
St. Louis Children's Eye Care
One Children's Place
St. Louis, MO 63110
Children's Specialty Care Center
13001 N Outer 40 Rd, Suite 2C
St. Louis, MO 63017
- B.A.: Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, 1990
- Medical Degree: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 1998
- Ph.D.: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 1998
- Residency: Ophthalmology, Barnes Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 2002
- Chief Residency: Ophthalmology, Barnes Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 2003
- Fellowship: Pediatric Ophthalmology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 2004
Licensure and Board Certification
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology, 2004
- Missouri Board of Healing Arts Licensure, 1997
- Ophthalmology -- Certified
Honors and Awards
- Graduated cum laude with a BA in Biology, Washington University in St. Louis Recipient of the Harrison Daily Stalker Prize for breadth of interest and excellence in science, 1990
- Selected as one of two graduate-student members Chancellor Search Committee, Washington University in St. Louis, 1994
- Finalist, James L. O’Leary Prize for Research in Neuroscience Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, 1996
- Max and Evelyn Grand Prize in Clinical Ophthalmology Washington University School of Medicine, 1998
- Doris P. and Harry J. Wexler Award for Ophthalmic Research, 2000
- Fellowship, Society of Heed Fellows, Heed Ophthalmic Foundation, 2003-2004
- Inducted Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2007
- Special Service Award, John Cochran VA Hospital, 2008
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2009-2013 (Best Doctors, Inc.)
- Culican SM, Rupp JD, Margolis TP. Retaining clinician-scientists: nature versus nurture. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 May 27;55(5):3219-22.
- Cain MD, Vo BQ, Kolesnikov AV, Kefalov VJ, Culican SM, Kerschensteiner D, Blumer KJ. An allosteric regulator of R7-RGS proteins influences light-evoked activity and glutamatergic waves in the inner retina. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 9;8(12):e82276.
- Lee AR, Lamb RR, Chang JH, Erdmann-Gilmore P, Lichti CF, Rohrs HW, Malone JP, Wairkar YP, Diantonio A, Townsend RR, Culican SM.Identification of Potential Mediators of Retinotopic Mapping: A Comparative Proteomic Analysis of Optic Nerve from WT and Phr1 Retinal Knockout Mice. J Proteome Res. 2012 Nov 2.
- Soto F, Ma X, Cecil JL, Vo BQ, Culican SM, Kerschensteiner D. "Spontaneous activity promotes synapse formation in a cell-type-dependent manner in the developing retina." J Neurosci. 2012 Apr 18.
- Berk DR, Culican SM, Bayliss SJ. "Scleral Hemangioma: Case Report and Response to Propranolol." Pediatr Dermatol. 2012 Apr 4.
- Kraus CL, Culican SM. "Use of biologic agents in ocular manifestations of rheumatic disease." Int J Rheumatol. 2012;2012:203819.
- Kraus CL, Culican SM. "Challenging presentations of cavernous sinus thrombophlebitis." J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect. 2012 Sep;2(3):133-6.
- Vo BQ, Bloom AJ, Culican SM. "Phr1 is required for proper retinocollicular targeting of nasal-dorsal retinal ganglion cells." Vis Neurosci. 2011 Mar;28(2):175-81.
- Kraus CL, Culican SM. "Nummular keratopathy in a patient with Hyper-IgD Syndrome." Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2009 Aug 5;7:14.
- Culican SM, Bloom AJ, Weiner JA, DiAntonio A. "Phr1 regulates retinogeniculate targeting independent of activity and ephrin-A signalling." Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009 Jul;41(3):304-12.